Are Roadworthy Certificates Required for Motorbikes in QLD?
04 September, 2019
The wind in your hair, the grunt of raw machine and the exhilaration of leaning your ride into a hair raising turn; there’s no doubt you’ll want to jump on that motorbike ASAP and zoom off into the sunset. But before you do there is most definitely something you’ll need…that’s a roadworthy certificate (officially referred to as a QLD Transport safety certificate).
Motorcycle Roadworthy Certificate
YES, if you’re looking to sell a motorbike in QLD (or buying, transferring or renewing registration) then you most certainly need to obtain a Motorbike Safety Certificate from an Approved Inspection Station (AIS). Under Australian consumer law a motorbike that is not roadworthy can attract a very substantial fine. Not to mention, all the safety risks and headaches that this situation will inevitably present.
Within Australia, regulation will vary according to where you are currently based, so it’s always a good idea to contact the road transport authority in your state or territory for further details of any roadworthy requirements. In this article, we’re focused on making sense of the roadworthy process for our fellow Queenslanders. So if that’s you… read on for some helpful info and advice to help you cruise on the right side of the law.
Motorbike Roadworthy Checklist
When it comes to motorcycles in QLD, a roadworthy certificate needs to be issued to protect both you and others from any undue risks, and to provide compliant operation. Some of the test performed on your motorbike will include checking the function of the horn, tyres, lights, indicators etc.
In fact, the breakdown of the individual inspections that comprise a motorbike roadworthy is quite similar to what you would expect happens with a car, trailer or other light vehicle (up to 4500 kg GVM). Naturally, some things may or not be applicable. For example, with a motorcycle you will include the chain, handlebars and other standard parts, whilst you can clearly ignore the need to check a steering wheel – you get the idea.
For a more complete list of all the components that might be assessed you can view the Australian Government website. If you want to find out more about all your obligations as a motorcyclist in QLD you can also download the Queensland Motorcycle Rider’s Guide.
3 Steps to getting Roadworthy:
- Book your roadworthy inspection at an approved inspection station (AIS). YES, that’s us (here at Auto Inspections QLD). AIS are the only sites in Queensland that are authorised to issue your safety certificate.
- You’ll either pass or fail the inspection. DON’T STRESS: If you don’t pass your roadworthy you’ll have 14 days to rectify the problem/s and have the car inspected again without having to reconvene the entire process. HINT: read our handy guide to avoid roadworthy certificate fails.
- You will be provided with either a handwritten certificate or an electronically issued certificate:
– With an electronically issued certificate you won’t need to display this on your motorcycle when it is listed for sale, however you must be able to produce it if requested by a buyer, buyer’s agent, police officer or transport authority. So, keep it on your person when riding your motorbike.
– If you obtain a handwritten safety certificate make sure you display the certificate in a visible place from the moment you offer it for sale. For motorcycles this is either on the forks or front guard.
Things you NEED to know:
- Failure to display a (handwritten only) Queensland Transport safety certificate on your motorcycle from the time you first offer it for sale can carry an on-the-spot fine of $375.00.
- If you are a private seller, your motorcycle roadworthy certificate will last for two months or 2000 km, whichever comes first.
- If you are a licensed dealer, you are allocated three months or 1000 km before a new certificate is required.
Mobile Motorcycle Roadworthy
We at Auto Inspections QLD offer the convenience of mobile motorcycle roadworthy services. That means we will come to you to help you get your wheels back on the road (or on the track). You don’t have to sacrifice hours stolen from your family, or job/social commitment. Plus, there’s no sitting around waiting in a workshop! Even better, with our standard 45 min inspection process, you’ll be back enjoying the pure thrill of the ride…before you even know it!
Reach out to our team at Auto Inspections QLD anytime. We offer workplace or home inspection service as your stress-free and easy option in getting roadworthy across Brisbane and from Tweed to Sunshine Coasts. Book a next day inspection to secure your time